This past week, we were reading 2 Kings for our Sunday School class. We have been working through the historical books of the Old Testament. And parts of them have been enjoyable while others have created a bit of a struggle for me.
However, this week, miracles were sprinkled all over the readings. God was moving mightily through Elisha and I was glued to the pages of the Bible as if I were reading a Christian novel. The well known account of the widow and her sons who were being pounced on by the creditors caught my attention. For the first time I saw the generosity of God displayed in this passage. When Elisha heard from the widow about her plight, he told her to go and get a lot of jars. “Go around and ask all your neighbors for empty jars. Don’t ask for just a few.” 2Kings 4:3 NIV
God’s desire is to bless us abundantly. To bless us to overflowing!
Giving thanks in the hard times as well as the good times:
297) for the one day we had cooler weather.
298) for the breeze blowing into the family room
299) for oranges ripening on the tree
300) for chirping birds and barking dog noises coming through the open door
301) for hearing someone practicing the trombone~bringing back sweet memories of childhood when doors and windows were always open and neighbors were part of your life.
302) for the job interview that went well~everything still pending
303) for hubby getting a new job assignment at work that will mean less stress for him yet will change his talents
304) for hubby’s relaxed smile
305) for encouraging notes from friends
306) for Chip, our wonder dog, improving every day
307) for yummy popcorn from Popcornopolis
308) for home-cooked meals
309) for keeping things a little more organized and a clean house
310) for the opportunity to vote this Tuesday and make a difference in our country
“The thief comes in order that he may steal and may kill and may destroy. I came that they may have and enjoy life, and have it in abundance–to the full, till it overflows.” John 10:10 Amplified
Loved reading your ‘thankful’ list once again Janis… I pray it all goes well re your job interview! Hugs to Chip, too, of course 😉
Just came upon your blog. We can have life and have it more abundantly if we practice faith. I’m sure if the widow only got 3 empty jars that’s all she would have received. Because she got all the jars available she had abundant oil to supply her need. A good post. I invite you over to visit my post and follow if you like.
I tried to follow your blog but a note came up saying
REQUEST URI TOO LARGE TO PROCESS. I have no idea what that means.
I had some years that the enemy stole and killed and destroyed. But God was faithful, and returned an abundance of His Blessings to me and my family. He is just so good…
Hope you get the job, Janis – keep me posted.
And congrats to your husband – less stress is ALWAYS a good thing!
xoxo to Chip, as always.
What a great reminder of His mercy and goodness.
Thank you all for stopping by.
~Amanda, Chip loves the hugs and kisses. He’s getting so spoiled these days.
~Ailene, I’m sorry you ran into difficulties but I’m glad you persisted in leaving your precious note about not asking for enough from the Lord.
~Sharon, the Lord is so good to restore what the enemy has tried to kill and destroy. Thank you for that reminder.
~S.Etole, thank you for your additional notes on the character qualities of our God.
Hi Janis. It’s always nice to meet another AZ blogger. I added your blog to my AZ Blogger list. I like your list of blessings. Sometimes the “little things” turn out to be very big things. Add them all up and wow it’s amazing.
Thank you for the honor of being included in the AZ Blogger list! WOW!
Nice to have you drop by.
From My Heart to Yours,
What a neat perspective from 2Kings. God does want to bless us although sometimes that’s hard to accept.
Blessings to you!