Recognize Danger When You See It
|Ocotillo on the left, Saguaro on the right does not have arms yet|
The Ocotillo and Saguaro stand like sentinels at the gate to Springtime in the Desert. However, as anyone knows, these desert dwellers do not invite an up-close and personal experience. Their needles could draw a profuse amount of blood if one would become entangled in these cacti, especially the Ocotillo.When we first moved here 17 years ago, our landscaper recommended against putting one in our backyard where children would be playing. It would be too dangerous for a child to easily run into the Ocotillo with its beautiful red plumes.
In Proverbs, the Lord warns us against being lured in by something that looks beautiful but could ensnare our lives. It doesn’t have to be related to lust. It could be something as ordinary as eating that extra piece of chocolate cake. Looks beautiful, tastes great, but harms the body.
“The prudent see danger and take refuge, but the simple keep going and suffer for it.” Proverbs 27:12 NIV
Giving thanks this week for:
611) friends who pray for you and share wisdom from God’s heart
612) laughter among friends that eases tension and relieves stress
613) comments from caring writers
614) cousins who love
615) plants that need to be watered
616) a reorganized computer desk
617) a caring church body that reaches out in love and comfort to those in need
618) Holly Gerth’s devotional book, Rain on Me
619) the Father who never gives up on us
620) the principle of abandoning our plans and wills to the Lord (I will be relearning that one every day)
May your week be filled with beauty that draws you closer to the Lord.
The cacti are beautiful, but you are right – very dangerous. Isn’t that just how Satan tempts us with sin? It looks good, but when we get too close…
I like what you said on #620. I too need to learn that every day. It has been on my heart for a while and a blog post has been in my mind regarding such. This helped to confirm that I should write it.
WISE WORDS MY FRIEND
Lust has many forms, doesn’t it? Money, food, drink, having its own way…
Thank you for your encouraging comments. Abandoning all to the will of the Lord is key. And recognizing the many forms of lust–so important.
From My Heart to Yours,