“But blessed is the man who trusts in the Lord, whose confidence is in Him. He will be like a tree planted by the water that sends out its roots by the stream. It does not fear when heat comes; its leaves are always green….” Jeremiah 17:7 and 8 NIV
It may have been Father’s Day but it felt like Mother’s Day to me. Our family was together~those of us still living here at home. We had a fun outing and dinner in a restaurant. To me that’s a mother’s holiday, even if I watched the man movie, “Man of Steel”–in 3D and IMAX as a Father’s Day present for my hubby.
All it takes to make this mother happy is to have her family gathered around with chatting and laughter. And a phone call from the one who no longer lives under our roof. He’s a Navy man now and makes his home near the base.
It was a brilliantly clear day in Arizona with the sun’s rays exerting about 110 degrees of heat upon us as we opened the car door. We parked as close to the theater as possible, not just for convenience, but because we did not want to trek far in the smothering heat. Don’t let anyone kid you about it being only “a dry heat”–it is still hot. Your face feels the heat radiating from the paved surfaces and your breath is a little shallower as the heat crushes against your chest.
As we approach the mall doors, relief in sight, the sound of voices on our son’s cell phone blow a refreshing breeze across my sun-streaked face. Our youngest son has called and suddenly it seems like we all walk through the mall doors together. Distance may have separated us but those cellular towers have joined us in this moment of celebration.
We all smile knowing the great gift of family that God gives. The gift may be visible in only moments or may not look exactly as we imagined it, but it is a gift nonetheless. Our day continues with the joy that God gave us at the start of our journey. His presence and love infused in each moment.
For this week of gifts from the Lord’s hand, I give thanks:
961) The gift of a husband who follows the Lord
962) Two sons who honored their Dad
963) A crazy man movie that I actually enjoyed, seated between the men in my life
964) Spending a a night and the next day visiting with two dear friends–one from Cali and one from here
965) Having friends who listen to my heart~such a blessing
966) My friend taking me to Hobby Lobby~my new favorite place
967) Celebrations along life’s journey–our anniversary, oldest’s birthday, and Father’s Day–times of renewal when life presses in
968) Chocolate covered strawberries and fondue for dinner (here)
969) The feel of being outside, working under the citrus trees. Feeding and caring for God’s creation that will produce fruit for the family and friends in the fall.
970) Gathered together with friends from church in our closely knit home group.